Sunday, June 23, 2013

FEELING "FAINT" from the Drabble!

This week, Laurence Simon/Crap Mariner's 100 Word Story Weekly Challenge prompt word was "Faint." (Click on the link to listen to all the challenge contributions!)  I wasn't sure it was a word that would bring me anything.  Then I started writing anyway, as I needed to warm up to get some other writing done (I use haiku and drabble to shake my Writing Muse to wakefulness).  BOOM!  Some ideas from things I have been reading and watching took off.  Here's the result!


Faint

It’s a veggie-carb day on my menu cycle.  It’s self imposed and pretty successful so far. 



I want protein.  I am craving protein.  A hamburger, some barbeque pork, even some refried beans! Thoughts of fried chicken are mocking me.



“Nyah! Nyah!  You can’t have me!”



“Bullshit!  You just WAIT until tomorrow!”



Giggling triumphantly the chicken thoughts dance away, still teasing.



I refill my trusty water bottle. Take a deep breath. Oh God!  Someone’s firing up a barbeque!  Wafting scent of mesquite!  I run around madly shutting windows.



“Get away from me!”



The room starts to spin around.  Fade to black.

##

The Serial Faintress – a Series of Three 100 Word Stories
(with a small nod to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Peter Jackson)

***

Hearing the noise behind me, I turn quickly and gasp aloud. I am positively shocked at what I see.
Sherlock Holmes is standing smiling at me across my home office. Suddenly a gray mist swirls before my eyes, and when it clears he is bending over me, his flask in his hand. 

"My dear lady, I owe you a thousand apologies. I had no idea that you would be so affected." 

“But why are you in Tacoma?”

Then it appears that I faint again for the second time in my life.


My head hits the floor with a dull thud.

***

I open my eyes again with a sharp intake of breath, and blink. 



I see a much younger face than the one I saw before. Dark, swirling hair frames the most remarkable pair of intense, changeable hazel eyes I have ever beheld.  I look puzzled.



Hello there!  They call me “Ben” but my actual name is “Benedict.”  Season 3 of my acclaimed Sherlock series is coming, and I am in the next Hobbit movie.  It’s going to be excellent.  You’re a fan?



The room starts to swirl around in a now familiar way. Everything gets dark, those eyes disappearing last.

***

Returning to consciousness, thinking how unreal this is, I shake my head to clear the haze.



Someone is still here.  Good Lord, won’t they leave me alone?



This one has a brooding forehead, furrowed brows, but somehow he is compelling, breathtakingly handsome.  His temple braids graze my cheeks.



“I am leading my kinsman to retake our homeland and reclaim the legacy of our fathers.  We travel to Erebor.  Have you seen Smaug the Terrible?”



I close my eyes, letting the fog roll back over me, and everything blinks out. 



There’s just no point in getting up until they go away. 

##

To Listen to Audio Recordings of these Stories CLICK HERE
by Judith Cullen (c)2013

As with all the audio downloads on this blog, this one is offered freely. I am an artist and fledgling indie author.  I only ask if you enjoy the files, you consider leaving something in the tip jar on the right hand margin.  Even $1 helps keep the stories coming!  

Visit oneadayuntilthedayidie.com to enjoy the podcast and the other contributors

COMING THIS WEEK:  
~ More Judy's Stories Live in the Proctor District ~ Saturday, June 29th at 3pm
~ More Samples from the soon-to-be-released (really!) A TRIO OF MY FATHER'S TALES

No comments:

Post a Comment