Saturday, February 9, 2019

POEM: Priorities Are Important, in Love.

This one, for fun ...




How Do I Love Thee?
by Judith Cullen
© 2019

Sitting together on the hardwood
the box slid carefully in my direction.

Cautious question, and "just open it!"
I lift the lid, part the tissue, and sigh.

They lay in a cushioned delicacy,
dark as midnight, and gleaming.


I raise one in amazement, and watch
my aghast reflection shining back.

Tips of golden accent wink at me.
I cannot help but slide them on.

"Absolutely perfect" a joyous exclamation,
as they begin to sashay on their own.

A well executed tango slide, follows
the clockwork rhythm of a cha cha.

A skittering of The Charleston
and squeals of delight before . . .

A smile pleased, and uncertain, then
shiny new heels click across wood.

One hand to hand, and one to cheek,
a reassuring kiss, "Darling, I will always
love You more than my shoes."

##
CLICK HERE to listen to me reading this poem

1 comment:

  1. Would be bad if she didn't!
    This is such a thrilling story. And it's showing a kind of English language that differs so much from what is usually spoken. I love sophisticated usage of language, particularly in German as I don't need a dictionary for understanding.... 😉
    Very kind regards, Felix

    ReplyDelete