Saturday, May 16, 2015

GREAT FOOD! GREAT TIME!

They made me my own sign!
I have to admit, I wasn't sure what to expect.  I know other writers with much wider distribution than I possesss, with more resources, who hold much larger events (or their publishers do).  I don't have any of that.  I began writing and self-publishing two and a half years ago with, literally, nothing but talent.  I have learned every step of the way, and can never remember in my life being so pleased to learn and make mistakes - moving forward wiser and better informed at each step. Two years later, I am still a long way from some of the my more "industry standard" colleagues, but I keep moving ahead, little by little.

So, when I decided to do my very first book launch event, the temptation was there to puff up the cat and make myself seem like bigger literary shakes than I am.  After all, "fake it till you make it," right?  Well no, not for me.  Putting myself out there, rather than letting my work speak for itself, is one of the hardest things for me about self-publishing. Yet,the release of The Blackberry & Other Tales That Creep was a significant step forward, and I simply wanted to celebrate it.


Yummmm!  Blueberry Pancakes!
The Original Pancake House about five minutes from where I live seemed the perfect place and Luke, the Manager, was so open and helpful.  I really can't say enough about how great he was. He even offered to let me put a Power Point about the book up on the screen in the room where we would be seated.  After fussing a bit over cables, I am glad I decided not to.  It was so great to enjoy the wonderful cross-section of people from different parts of my life, and help mark this big step for me by sharing time and food with them.  Some of my Kickstarter Supporters were even there, and got their signed books.

Why was this book such a big deal for me?
It marks numerous firsts.
The first . . .
  • Book I have published with original commissioned artwork
  • And thus, the first time I have worked with an illustrator.
  • Time my books will be in retail stores
  • Kickstarter campaign to fund illustrations, audio book production , promotional donations, and extended distribution
  • actual Launch event.
Am I on the same level yet with my more prolific publishing peers?  Not even remotely, but I am getting there one step at a time.  The best thing was capping it all off today with a small but diverse group of people in celebration: enjoying some great food, and terrific fellowship.  

Thank you one and all for your support, and for sharing this moment with me!

"The Blackberry..." Book Launch ~ May 16, 2105
I took more pictures, but some of them are a bit blurry - I was SO excited!
L to R: Wendy Lyons, Me, Christina Hughes, Tanya & Jason Carter (with well-behaved service-dog-in-training under the table), Jeri and Mark Lloyd, Hal Meng, and Maura Cullen.

COMING NEXT! . . . Beauty On The Interstate to be released in August, and the release of The Blackberry & Other Tales That Creep in Audio Book

Also, more stories and essays posts (I have some saved up) and more from the Art-Inspired Stories Project at this year's Proctor Arts Fest.


No comments:

Post a Comment