Monday, February 24, 2014

JUST ONE MORE . . .

I had a dream almost a week ago - powerful, vivid.  It surprised and annoyed me.  I wrote this poem several times as a result, mostly in the car driving to work.  Unfortunately, those "commuter editions" are lost forever, and I think they were better than this version, in some ways.  But such are the transient nature of dreams.



Another One
By Judith Cullen  (c) 2014

My dream was filled with him
Unexpectedly saturated with
Food
Laughter
Good Company
And the comforting tambor
Of his voice.

It was held firmly, my hand
Wrapped in his as we
Connected
Every way
Everywhere
Surrounded with the vigorous intoxication
Of his presence.

The inevitable moment, for me
Pulling so close
Muscle
Breath
Warmth
Speaking with my heart
“I love you.”

A pause whose silence echoes
The break between
Chemistry
Comradery
And conscience
An infernal gambit between
“yes” and “I’m sorry.”

They would not release, his arms
When I pushed away
Hurt
Wounded
Embarrassed
Firmly they restrained, prevented
My escape from his regrets.

Not enough in waking moments
To know the truth of that pause
“I love you”
“I know”
“I’m sorry”
Why did it have to infect
My dreams as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment